It takes a creative community – copywriters, art directors, designers, photographers, illustrators, account planners and other creators – all working together to create a Pele-worthy piece of advertising. We motivate each other, teach each other, inspire each other. And when we unite our talents, ideas take shape, sparks of ingenuity fly and creativity is forged. We are all members of one tribe, united in our pursuit to create what has never been created before.
In celebration of the 2022 Pele Awards, we asked Ruth Moen, Illustrator at Dog & Pony Show, to create her own expression of the Pele Awards and tell us what the show means to her.
Ruth's Pele Story
Illustrator — Dog & Pony Show
Clifford's Pele Story
Owner Operator - VOICE
Senior Copywriter - MVNP
About the Pele Awards
The Pele Awards originally belonged to Ad Infinitum, the organization that later became AIGA Honolulu or the American Institute of Graphic Arts. A Pele Award was given for excellence in graphic design. In the late 1970s, the Honolulu Advertising Federation, now known as the American Advertising Federation — Hawai‘i (or AAF-Hawaii) took over the competition and it became an advertising and design competition.
Today, AAF District 13 oversees the Pele Awards and it is one of 15 National District Competitions for the American Advertising Awards (also known as the ADDYs). It’s designed to recognize excellence in advertising and design in the State of Hawaii for the past calendar year.
Changes for 2022
- 100% Online Entry Submissions Only
- No Physical Entry and/or Official Entry Envelope needs to be turned in
- Buy 2, Get 1 Free Entry Promotion for all Professional and College Entrants
- No Late Fees
1. Still Out for 2021-2022:
- Locals Only: Retail Advertising
- Locals Only: Travel & Tourism
1. Online Virtual Judging at both the Local and National levels
- Judging will be done online using digital content provided that was uploaded during the entry process and or URL
2022 PELE AWARDS SHOW
2022 Facebook Live Virtual Awards Show:
Web Posting of Winners
Friday, May 20, 2022
- Reveal of Best of Show & Judge’s Award Winners
- 2022 Ad Persons Awards Recognition
- Awards Pick Up & Picture Taking
Saturday, May 21, 2022
1125 Ala Moana Blvd.; #F
Honolulu, Hawaii 96813
Save the date
All “Professional” work entered in the 2022 Pele Awards Competition must have first appeared in media between January 1, 2021, and December 31, 2021.
All “College” work entered in the 2022 Pele Awards Competition must have been created between January 1, 2021, and March 15, 2022.
Please see 2022 Pele Information Guide for specific entry rules, guidelines, and categories.
- ONLINE CALL FOR ENTRY ACCEPTANCE DATE
- November 15, 2021 11:59PM HST
- FINAL ONLINE ENTRY DEADLINE
- March 15, 2022 11:59PM HST
- ALL PAYMENTS DUE
- MARCH 17, 2021 4PM HST
- PELE AWARD JUDGING
- MARCH 30-31, 2022